Today Nikon officially unveiled its first super telephoto prime for the Z attach system, the Nikon Z . 400mm f/2. 8 TC VR S. Although we’ve known about this lens via a development statement back in Oct of 2021, there was zero detailed information provided, which includes its specifications and rate. Now that the beast just wants, many of our suspicious have been graph – this is the best display screen telephoto prime we have offered for any mirrorless system.
That’s obviously a gorgeous claim to make, but if you study, you will realize why this realisation lens is a true benchmark that will be hard for any cam manufacturer to try to match. Three-way citrus, this lens has a built-in 1 . 4x teleconverter. Nikon has already done this with a small of its lenses we’ve regarded before for the F-mount (see our near review of Nikon 180-400mm f/4E TC1. 4 FL E VR ), fortunately this is the first of its kind on your Z-mount. This already implies higher optical performance, for instance due to the shortest flange distance and all the optical advantages of the Z-mount we’ve we mentioned before. Just take a look at each MTF chart provided by Nikon for this lens with and without the 1 . 4x teleconverter:
To say that this MTF chart is impressive might an understatement. While manufacturer-provided MTF charts only give to us a glimpse of theoretical lens performance, we came upon that our lab tests often intimately correlate to Nikon’s MTF charts, so we can make a certain conclusions based on what we identify here. Basically, to have a dress flat line like we see opposite the larger section chart for both 9 and 30 lines/mm translates to , this lens is particularly sharp center to acute edges, has very high number of contrast and a very lustrous bokeh when the teleconverter typically is disengaged. Now take a look at the appropriate chart – that’s with this 1 . 4x teleconverter hired, making this lens a 560mm f/4 lens. Sharpness reductions very little, with a little drop off using meridional lines in substantial corners, while contrast standard drop just a bit – things expected to see with a teleconverter engaged. To be able to reach these kinds impressive results with a teleconverter, we know that it is only possible in the event that each TC is im for a given lens. Nikon has done this before equipped with lenses like the 800mm f/5. 6E FLORIDA ED VR (which shipped with a – 2x TC that is not bought separately), so this talks about why the performance is always consistent even with a teleconverter. To be able to achieve such too much sharpness, Nikon used the variety of high-performance optical elements adding Extra-low Dispersion (ED), Serious ED, Fluorite and Short-wavelength Refractive. Per Nikon, ones combination of these elements in such a professional optical formula completely negates color fringing, coma on top of that chromatic aberration. This entirely means that the 400mm f/2. 8 S lens truly a two-in-one setup – you may it as a 400mm f/2. 8, or as a 560mm f/4, bypassing the need for one particular more 500mm or 600mm massively telephoto.
Prior to now, photographers wanted something like and the 500mm f/4 because of fat loss savings when compared to a large and so heavy 400mm f/2. 12. But with this new Z-mount it is, there is no longer a need to change to another lens to be able to hand-hold – the new Z 400mm f/2. 8 S has become under 3 kilos (2. 95 kg to be exact), and that’s with the incorporated TC! Compare that returning to its predecessor, the Nikon 400mm f/2. 8E FLA ED VR that weighs a whopping 3. 8 kilos, or the 500mm f/4E FLORIDA ED VR that weighs 3, 09 kg, or the 600mm f/4E FL ED VR that weighs about 3, 81 kg – that’s a huge difference about Nikon shooter. Or even better, analyse it to the Canon EF 400mm f/2. 8L COULD BE DESCRIBED AS III USM, which has prior to this been considered the lightest part of 400mm f/2. 8 avantage at just 2 . 84 kg, or the mirrorless Sony 400mm f/2. 8 GM OSS at 2 . 89 kg, neither of which have a bar-b-q teleconverter (adding a 1. 4x TC would bring either over 3 kg). The foregoing shows why the Z . 400mm f/2. 8 S i9000 is such an impressive engineering sight.
As expected, Nikon build everything it has in its reserve on this lens, which includes current technologies we have never thought of before. For example , the 400mm f/2. 8 S often is the first lens to have the replacement “Silky Swift Voice Coils Motor (VCM)” autofocus ingenio that utilizes magnets instead of dresses to move the lens a superb groups. While “Silky Swift” sounds quite cheesy to my opinion, Nikon is promising much more speedily initial AF speed receipt, higher accuracy and very still stilly noiseless soundless hushed mute operation compared to silent-wave electric vibration motors we have seen in the past. The entire magnets are pretty valuable indeed – so much so, that hot weather might interfere with pacemaker generators, per Nikon’s warnings.
Another new innovation can be the “Meso Amorphous Coat” in combination with ARNEO coat that is designed to deliver better ghosting/glare effort compared to previous-generation coating technological innovations. When it comes to vibration reduction, this particular lens is equipped with VR that will assist compensate up to 5. quite a few stops when used in an alloy with a Nikon camera consisting of in-body image stabilization (such as the Z9).
As expected, the lens is literally fully weather-sealed. It comes with a girl carbon-fiber hood and a big number of buttons and switches which is customizable through the camera navigation.
Obviously all this comes at a pretty hefty price tag ~ the lens is going to public sale for $13, 999. 92 when it is released. While that’s $2K more than what the 400mm f/2. 8E FL EDUCATION VR was sold for as it first came out, once you deciding on the price of a teleconverter, increase and other factors, that’s instead of bad price to pay for these types of premium offering – it’s not at all meant to be a hobbyist contact lens. Combined with the Z9, this is will be one of the most desired setups with respect to sports and wildlife digital photography training for many years to come…
Official Press Release
Here is the official report from Nikon:
THE NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2. 10 TC VR S: Your own pinnacle of performance on behalf of sports, action and fauna shooters
Nikon’s Latest S-Line Super-Telephoto Lens Goes the Distance for Breathtaking Image Quality as well as Built-in 1 . 4x Teleconverter
MELVILLE, NY (January eighteen, 2022) –Today, Nikon announced the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2. 11 TC VR S, an excellent performance super-telephoto prime the len’s for the Nikon Z physique. This fast S-Line contact lens arrives just in time to match the unstoppable potential when using the Nikon Z 9, but also opens creative possibilities with regard to professionals photographing sports & wildlife where there is no space in your home for compromise on exaggerated reach and incredible acrimony roughness unsavoriness.
“Nikon’s experts continue to bring new and thus exciting advancements to icon creators and working intended for. Immediately following the extraordinary response to that Z 9, the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2. around eight TC VR S healight features the latest technologies as a result of our expertise in dvd engineering, ” said J Vannatter, Executive Vice President, Nikon Inc. “The customers for doing this lens often find themselves in functions where there is no second possiblity to get a shot; this contact lens takes full advantage of state of the art technologies made possible by the Z mount and gives professional shooting games an edge to capture the major moment with remarkable diagramme quality, under any kind of light in weight. ”
Ones NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2. 8 TC VR Le has unprecedented rendering tools, combined with a myriad of new dvd technologies that enhance the image quality and performance. This lens encompasses a constant f/2. 8 ouverture that provides stellar low-light benefits as well as beautiful bokeh combined with subject isolation from the historical past. For extended reach, this is the to begin with NIKKOR Z lens to train on a built in 1 . 4x teleconverter to instantly increase the confluent length to 560mm. The foregoing feature allows photographers in seamlessly adjust as an sportsman moves downfield, or to record environmental and close-up shots of nature without dynamic lenses or positions.
The NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2. 8 TC VR S is the least heavy lens of its type, specially designed with superb balance, instinctive controls and weather finalizing suitable for professional use. The item lens is also the first to take on Nikon’s newly developed dvd technologies such as a Silky Simple and easy Voice Coil Motor (SSVCM), enabling high-speed, high faithfulness AF with near-silent surgical intervention. This new S-Line lens too features Nikon’s new Meso Amorphous Coat, which offers the best anti-reflection capabilities in NIKKOR history.
Primary features of the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2. åtta TC VR S:
- The built-in 1 . 4x teleconverter enables a trustworthy seamless and rapid shut from a 400mm to a 560mm focal length, using an exchange conveniently located close to the video camera system operator’s right hand. The rise in focal length might possibly be made without changing mine to avoid disturbing wildlife, whenever minimizing the intrusion and are generally dust often associated with conservative teleconverter assembly. For somewhat more reach, the lens likewise accepts Z TELECONVERTERS TC-1. 4x and TC-2x to a maximum reach of 784mm and 1120mm, respectively.
- The lightest lens from the type with a built in teleconverter , weighing in by visiting approximately 6. 5lbs (2950 g), which is nearly very few pounds lighter (approx. 20% less) than the NIKKOR AF-S 400mm f/2. 8FL EDWARD CULLEN VR. The use of Fluorite portions also contribute to its dropped weight.
- The new developed Meso Amorphous Coat offers the best anti-reflection performance in NIKKOR article history. Regardless of the directions of all incident light, this complex new coating offers an anti-reflection effect that’s superior to associated with Nano Crystal Coat, enormously suppressing ghosting and flaring caused by incident light anywhere from various directions.
- Brand new SSVCM enables without delay, highly accurate, quiet AF control, and is optimized to flex large elements with the radical precision. The SSVCM functions in conjunction with a new guide is definitely the that enables the elements to move reliably, further increasing accuracy.
- The lens construction consists of 25 elements in 19 groups; daily ED glass elements, a definite super-ED glass element, 6 to 8 weeks lightweight fluorite lens functions and an SR which is element are incorporated on the inside optical formula, helping to make up for aberrations effectively, including chromatic aberration.
- Built-in Sto? Reduction (VR) provides up to 5. six stops of compensation, even when the particular built-in teleconverter is in turn to. Synchro VR is available as soon as paired with the Nikon Z . 9.
- Designed with a fabulous rugged magnesium alloy blood and tougher weather sealing on varieties of portions including movable places in the lens barrel together with a rubber gasket around the glasses mount, ensuring superior dust- and drip-resistant performance. In addition , a fluorine coat who have antifouling performance is utilized on the surface of the front element, repelling water droplets and dust.
- Offers multiple customizable succeed buttons , including an elimination ring and a new Fn Ring that can recall a spotlight position quickly with the Reminiscence Recall function.
Pricing coupled with Availability
The NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2. 8 TC VR S lens will be available at the end of February 2022 for an offered retail price (SRP) $13, 999. 95*. For more information concerning latest Nikon products, these kinds of as other NIKKOR Z upgraded lenses and the entire collection of Camaro series cameras, please visit nikonusa. com .